Thursday, December 18, 2008

What's been going on, in no particular order

Becca's visit has been wonderful. Now that I'm feeling better and am over the flu, we've been going out and having fun. Mind you, she's been teaching in Korea for six months, so going out means doing "American" things like having Mexican food and visiting Target (both of which I love). We've been renting movies (go see Forgetting Sarah Marshall), watching Star Trek:TNG episodes, baking cookies, and playing with the baby. Last night Xander refused to go to bed until nearly 1am, and Becca stayed up and kept me company - we had long conversations on multiple subjects, all sung to the tune of Brahm's Lullaby so that the baby would still feel relaxed. Today she went running on the treadmill with him in the wrap, and the baby kicked his feet and gurgled along happily.

We went out to buy a cloth diaper bag yesterday (literally a bag to put used diapers in when we're out), at this cool store downtown. But I was so excited to find a good parking spot and I was focused on getting the baby out of the car out of the rain, and I just took the kiddo into the store and locked the car. I completely forgot to put money in the meter. We got back and lo and behold, I had gotten a ticket. I told Jonathan about it and felt very sheepish. "The diaper bag was $18," he said. " And the ticket was $25. So all in all, we spent $45 on that little bag?" "Um, yeah," I replied. "I'm sorry. I feel really stupid." "That's okay," he said. "I spent $83 on a hammer once."

Xander is growing by leaps and bounds. Two weeks ago, at eight weeks old, his 0-3 months clothes stopped fitting. All the outfits are too short, even if they fit him perfectly in width. Some of the clothes we got as gifts that I washed so he could wear (like Savta's cute elephant sleeper), he never even wore! I put him in a new 3 month outfit today and his feet are already at the end of the sleeper and the sleeves stop before the wrists. He's tall, Daddy's kid by far. He's also started to spit up and drool some, as well as gurgling and making noises. He now grabs onto things, like my hair when nursing or Jonathan's nose when he sings him songs. So yay for reaching new developmental milestones! Another new discovery is that he doesn't like it when I drink milk or eat tomatoes (we were finally able to narrow it down). So as long as I'm breastfeeding, I guess I'll have tomato-less salads and stick to soy chai at Starbucks.

The cats have now fully adapted to all the changes. Simcha's as friendly as ever, and Osher goes outside for a few hours a day and then comes back in. Sometimes we'll hear major hissing outside that sounds like a catfight, and whenever I run to the door I see Osher all fluffed up standing on our porch, defending our house against the errant neighbor cat. He's also still very much into squirrels, and will chase them around the neighborhood regardless of snow.

And that's about it on the home front. Pictures/videos to follow soon.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall for about 20 minutes and thought it was so juvenile that I actually turned it off. By your comment, I'm supposing it got better?

Michal said...

it did, much!