Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Interesting musings. At least to me. Skim if they're not as interesting to you. :)

1) I learned in one of my classes that the Last Supper was not a Passover seder. I always thought that it was! I'd never realized the following: the seder plate has a shankbone on it, symbolic of the sacrifice done in the Second Temple. The rabbis instituted this after the destruction of the Second Temple, when sacrifices were no longer done in Jerusalem. So seders were a rabbinic construction, post 70 C.E. And the Last Supper was in the 30s. This explains why there is no matzah in all of the Renaissance paintings, huh?

2) Xander has been playing with his plush seder set. His favorite is the plush horseradish (picture a big white fuzzy carrot thing). The funny part is that I find myself incapable of just giving him the set to play with; I've completely internalized the requirement to explain the symbolism to your children, so each time we play I end up telling him the story. I am such a rabbinic student sometimes.

3) My sister and I frantically searched the house today for my missing wallet. I even missed class because I didn't want to drive without a license. It took over an hour before we found it. You know where it was? In the milk cooler next to the diaperbag. Sooo frustrating. How do these things happen?!

4) Jonathan and Odelia are, at this very moment as I type, competing in an off-road racing game. I'm so glad they have each other. God knows they could never play with me. (Though, to my shame, I did really enjoy Lego Star Wars and Overlord.)

5) Facebook Seder!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what is the significance of the "Last Supper"?

Do you remember years ago when you said to me, "Mom, please don't explain it to me!!" I had to laugh at you telling Xander the story of Passover over and over again!! It might not be your rabbinic calling....it might just be in your blood!

And I roared at the story of your lost wallet! Triple that and you have my life!! HAHAHA

Love you bunches,
Mom

Sheryl said...

I was just going to ask about the Last Supper too - was it just a dinner party for the gang?

Michal said...

As far as I can tell, it was. It was the dinner he had with his disciples the night before he died, the one where he said "this is my body, this is my blood" that later on became the eucharist.