Friday, June 19, 2009

This is called being slap-happy

My mom has gotten rather good at putting Xander down for naps and bedtime. As in, she'll cradle him, he'll put his head down on her shoulder, and five minutes later, he'll be totally asleep. (Me, on the other hand, he'll scream with for 20 minutes first).

Well, last night she was putting him down. The usual happened: he complained a bit, she shifted from putting him on her shoulder to cradling him, she rocked back and forth in the chair. All the while she was singing him a lullaby. I took advantage and lay down on the bed. Every few seconds she would look over and silently cue me in to tell me how he was doing (his eyes were closed, he was blinking, staring at her, etc). At one point he had just closed his eyes, and she turned to me to tell me that in a few more minutes, he would be down for the night. Only to find out that the lullaby had worked... I was soundly asleep on the bed. Xander was still awake, but at least she'd put somebody to sleep!

Then the really funny thing happened... she started to laugh so hard that she shook. You know that silent laughter when you're trying to be quiet but you can't stop laughing no matter what you do? She was gasping for air, laughing so hard the entire chair was shaking with every convulsion. Well, I woke up! And then even worse... the baby woke up! This then cracked her up even more, so she laughed even harder. And poor Xander got scared by his vibrating Bubby pillow and started to cry. Which made us both laugh, and then neither of us could stop, until she finally ordered me out of the room.

I calmed down quickly after that, and she must have too, because ten minutes later he was down for the night. She tiptoed out, and the moment she closed the door behind her she cracked up again. Despite it all, mission accomplished!

No comments: